My social media class has been assigned to read the book A Survival Guide to Social Media and Web 2.0 Optimization by Deltina Hay. This week, my class was assigned to read chapter 7. This chapter is all about social bookmarking & crowd-sourcing. Listed below are a few of the things that I thought were the most important points in these chapters.
- Social Bookmarking is a way for you to save your favorite blogs and websites in a public space the same way you might save them using your own web browser.
- Social Bookmarking sites allow you to search for terms and then return the top sites tagged (and commented) by other users.
- Some examples of Social Bookmarking sites include: Delicious.com,Technorati, StumbleUpon, and Searchles
- Crowd- Sourcing sites are news site that allow its users to determine the popularity of a news story, blog entry, or website, through various types of voting or rating systems.
- Some examples of Crowd-Sourced sites include: Digg.com, Reddit, Mixx, and Gabbr.