For the past few weeks, my social media class has been assigned to read the book A Survival Guide to Social Media and Web 2.0 Optimization by Deltina Hay. This week, my class was assigned to read chapters 8 & 9. These two chapters of the book looks at both media communities as well as Widget and Badgets. Listed below are a few of the things that I thought were the most important points in these chapters.
- Media communities are social sites where you can save, share, and comment on multimedia items.
- Media communities include places on the internet where you can share both images and video. A few examples of a Media Community include Flicker. com, which is an example of a site where you can share images and YouTube.com where you can share videos.
- The purpose of these communities is for people to connect with each other through a shared medium.
- Widgets are snippets of code, usually displayed graphically, that can be used to syndicate content.
- Some widgets help to highlight your presence within the social web.
- Widgets come in many different shapes and sizes.